The data we collect
Wede collects data:
- provided by users to Wede, such as when creating an account
- created while using our services, such as location, application usage, and device data
- from other sources, such as other users or account owners, business partners, suppliers, financial and insurance solution providers, and government authorities
- For your convenience, we have provided a visual summary of the data we collect and how we use it here.
Wede collects the following data:
1. Dados fornecidos por utilizado1. Data provided by users.res. These include:
- User profile information: we collect data when users create or update their Wede account or order through the guest check-out features. These can include name, e-mail, phone number, login name and password, address, profile picture, payment or bank information (including related payment verification information), driver’s license and other government issued documents (which may include their document number, date of birth, gender, and a photograph). It also includes drivers’ vehicle or insurance information, emergency contact information, user settings, and health or fitness certificates to provide services using the Wede applications.
- Background check information (drivers): this includes information submitted during the driver application process, such as driving history or criminal record (if the law allows it), driver’s license status, alternate names and previous known addresses, and right to work. This information may be collected by an authorized vendor on behalf of Wede.
- Identity verification photographs: this includes user photographs (such as selfies) and/or government-issued identification documents (such as driver’s licenses or passports). These photos could be used to verify a user’s identity, for example with face verification technologies. Please see the section “How we use personal data” for more information on how user photographs are used for safety and security purposes, including for identity verification.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, such as date of birth/age, gender, or occupation, when necessary for certain services, alcoholic beverage deliveries.
We may also collect demographic data through user surveys.
- User content: we collect data submitted by users when they contact Wede customer support, provide ratings and reviews about other users, restaurants or merchants, or otherwise contact Wede. This can include photos or audio or video recordings sent by users as part of a customer support request. This also includes metadata related to the method you use to communicate with Wede.
In some jurisdictions, users can record audio and/or video of their trips through an in-app feature or by using a dashboard camera. Recordings in the application are encrypted and stored on the users’ devices and are only shared with Wede if they are submitted by the users as part of security incidents.
2. Data created while using our services. These include:
- Location data (drivers): We collect precise or approximate location data from drivers’ mobile devices when the Wede application is running in the foreground (the application is open and appears on screen) or in the background (the application is open but does not appear on screen).
- Location data (users and order recipients). we collect precise or approximate location information from the mobile devices of users and order recipients if they allow us to do so via their device settings.
Wede collects this data from the moment a trip is requested or an order is placed until completion and whenever the application is running in the foreground (the application is open and appears on the screen).
Users and order recipients can use the Wede applications without allowing the collection of location data from their mobile devices. However, this may affect some functionality of the Wede applications. For example, a user who does not enable precise location data will have to manually enter the pickup address.
In addition, the precise location data collected from drivers’ devices during trips are associated with users’ accounts, even if the users have not enabled the collection of precise location data from their devices. This data is used for receipt generation, customer support, fraud detection, insurance and litigation purposes.
- Transaction Information: we collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided; travel or order details (such as date and time, pickup and delivery addresses requested, distance traveled, and items ordered); and payment transaction information (such as the name and location of restaurants or merchants, amounts charged, and payment methods). We also associate the username with the name of anyone who uses the respective Usage Data: We collect data about how users interact with our services. This includes the dates and times of access, the application pages or features viewed, the browser type, and application crashes and other system activity.
- Device Data: We collect data about the devices used to access our services, including hardware models, device IP address or other unique device identifiers, operating systems and their versions, software, preferred languages, advertising identifiers, device movement data, and mobile network data.
- Communications Data: We collect data regarding telephone, text or in-app communications between users that are possible through the Wede applications. This includes the date and time, as well as the content of text messages or in the application. We may also collect the content of phone calls only when users are notified in advance that the call may be recorded.
3. Data from other sources. These include:
- users who participate in our referral programs. For example, when a user recommends another person, we receive the recommended person’s data through that user.
- Wede account owners who request services for or on behalf of other users (such as friends or family members).
- Users or others who provide information in connection with complaints or disputes.
- Vendors who help us verify users’ identity, background information, and eligibility to work, or who check users for sanctions, anti-money laundering, or “know your customer” requirements.
- The suppliers of insurance, vehicle or financial services to drivers and/or delivery partners.
- Publicly accessible sources.
- Marketing service providers or data resellers whose data Wede uses for marketing or research purposes.
- Law enforcement, public health authorities, and other government authorities.
How we use personal data
Wede uses the data to be able to provide reliable and convenient deliveries and other products and services. We also use this data:
- to enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- for customer service
- for research and development
- to enable communication between users
- for marketing and advertising purposes
- to send non-marketing communications to users
- within the scope of legal proceedings
Wede does not sell or share users’ data with third parties for direct marketing, unless it has the users’ consent.
For your convenience, we have provided a visual summary of the data we collect and how we use it here.
We use the data we collect:
1. To provide our services. Wede uses data to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our services.
This includes the use of data for:
- create/update accounts.
- activate transports, deliveries and other services/functions, such as:
- use location data to navigate user pickups and order deliveries, calculate expected arrival times, and track the progress of deliveries.
- features involving data sharing, such as sharing driver first name and vehicle information with users to facilitate pickups, user profile and trip details for sharing estimated time of arrival and fare split, and user compliments and ratings.
- Match available drivers with users who are requesting services. Users can be matched based on availability, location/proximity, settings/preferences and other factors such as the likelihood of them accepting a trip based on their previous behavior or preferences. For more information about our matching process, please see this page.
- activate dynamic fares, with which the price of a trip, or the delivery fee for Wede orders, is determined based on factors such as estimated distance and time, expected route, estimated traffic, and the current number of users requesting or providing services.
- process payments.
- customize user accounts. For example, we can provide personalized recommendations of restaurants or dishes to a Wede user based on their previous requests.
- facilitar soluções de seguro, veículos, faturação ou financiamento.
- provide users with updates about trips or deliveries, generate receipts, and inform of changes to our Terms, services or policies.
- perform the operations necessary to maintain our services, including troubleshooting software errors and operational problems.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary to comply with the Terms of our agreements with users or on the grounds that they are necessary for the legitimate interests of Wede and its users.
2. Safety and security. We use data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. These include:
- verify the identity and eligibility of users to provide deliveries, including through the analysis of background checks, to help prevent unsafe drivers and/or users from using our services.
In certain regions we have a real-time ID verification feature, which asks drivers to take and share a selfie before going online to better ensure that those using the app match the Wede account in our records. We may also use this feature for other verification purposes, such as verifying that bank account information has changed or regaining access to the account.
In addition, we may use facial recognition technology to process user profile photos, ID photos, or other photos submitted by users to prevent identity theft or to prevent unauthorized drivers from using our services.
We can also use selfies and use object verification technology to find out if users are wearing a mask, helmet, or other protective gear.
Similarly, order recipients may be asked to provide their age and a picture of their government-issued identification document for verification of eligibility to order and receive alcoholic beverages. See this page for more information about verifying the identity of the order recipient.
- use data from drivers’ devices to detect risky driving behavior, such as speeding or braking hard and accelerating, and to inform them of safer driving practices.
- use device, location, user profile, usage data, among others, to prevent, detect and combat fraud. This includes identifying fraudulent accounts or uses of our services, preventing the use of our services by unauthorized drivers, verifying user identities for certain payment methods, and preventing and combating unauthorized access to user accounts. In some cases, such as when it is determined that a user is abusing the Wede referral program or has sent fraudulent documents, such behavior may result in automatic deactivation or, in the European Union or where required by law, deactivation after human review. To object to deactivation, contact Wede customer support.
- use ratings, incident reports, and other feedback from users to promote compliance with our community guidelines and as a basis for disabling users with low ratings or who have violated these guidelines in certain countries. In the European Union, or where required by law, deactivation occurs only after human review and/or the possibility of appeal. For more information on how ratings are determined and used, please see this page on user ratings, this page on driver ratings, and this page on delivery partner ratings. To object to deactivation, contact Wede customer support.
- use driver data (such as location, ratings, and gender where legally permissible) and user data (such as ratings, origin, and destination) to help avoid user matches that could result in a higher risk of conflict (for example, because one user previously assigned a one-star rating to another).
- share name, location, phone number, vehicle information, and other relevant user data with third-party companies that help manage and resolve any interpersonal conflicts between users on a trip or in the process of a delivery.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary to comply with the Terms of our agreements with users and/or for the legitimate safety purposes of Wede, our users and the general public.
3. Customer support. Wede uses the information we collect (which may include call recordings) to provide customer support, including to investigate and respond to user inquiries and to monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary to comply with the Terms of our agreements with users or for Wede’s legitimate interests to monitor and improve its customer service.
4. Research and development. We use personal data for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to make our services more convenient and user-friendly, to improve the safety and security of our services, and to develop new services and features.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary for Wede’s legitimate interests to improve and develop new services and functionalities.
5. Allow communication between users. For example, phone contacts by call or SMS from the driver confirming the delivery location with the user, from the restaurant giving information about the order to the order recipient.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary to fulfill the Terms of our agreements with users.
6. Marketing and advertising. A Wede utiliza dados (para além dos dados dos utilizadores convidados) para publicitar os seus serviços e os dos parceiros Wede. They may include:
- Send emails, text messages, push notifications and in-app messages or other marketing or advertising communications about Wede products, services, features, offers, promotions, sweepstakes, news and events.
This can include using location, order history, and usage data to send personalized marketing communications based on users’ observed or inferred characteristics and interests. For example, we may send push notifications or in-app messages with discounts or promotions on products or merchants similar to those a user has previously ordered.
- Display Wede advertising on third-party applications or websites. This includes using location, order history and usage data, as well as sharing hashed email addresses and device or user identifiers with advertising partners (such as Facebook and TikTok) to tailor the relevant ads to users’ interests.
- Display advertising from third parties in Wede applications or within our services.
This includes ads for restaurants or merchants available on the Wede. These ads (identified as “Sponsored Ads” in the Wede applications) include personalized recommendations based on the users’ location and request history.
This also includes advertisements for other third-party products or services tailored based on users’ observed or inferred characteristics and interests, which we determine using data such as approximate location, travel information and history, usage data, demographic data (which may include inferred gender), and device or user identifiers.
It also includes personalized advertisements based on data about the current delivery order, including the time of the order and the services requested.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Wede and third-party advertisements displayed in Wede applications or within our services.
We do not sell or share users’ data with third parties for direct marketing or advertising purposes, except with users’ consent. However, in order to display and evaluate the effectiveness of third-party personalized ads, we may share data with advertising intermediaries such as the device or advertising identifier, hashed email address, IP address, approximate location, and current order information. These intermediaries may use or share the data for their own purposes. Users can cancel ad personalization in the Wede application.
Wede carries out the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary for the purposes of Wede’s legitimate interests of informing users about Wede’s services and features.
7. Communications that are not for marketing purposes. Wede may use the data to send surveys and other communications other than to advertise Wede services or products.
Wede performs the above activities on the grounds that they are necessary for compliance with the Terms of our agreements with users, either for the legitimate interests of Wede or for the legitimate interests of users, which inform them of events that may affect the way they use the Wede services.
8. Procedures and legal requirements. We use personal data to investigate or handle complaints or disputes related to the use of Wede services, to satisfy requirements under applicable laws, regulations or operating licenses or agreements, or pursuant to legal process or governmental requests, including from law enforcement authorities.
Wede performs the above activities because they are necessary for the purposes of Wede’s legitimate interests in investigating and responding to claims and disputes related to the use of Wede services and features and/or necessary to comply with applicable legal requirements.
C. Cookies and Third-Party Technologies
- authenticate users
- save user preferences and settings
- determine the popularity of the content
- provide and evaluate the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- analyze site traffic and trends and gain a general understanding of the online behaviors and interests of the people who interact with our services
D. Data sharing and dissemination
Some of Wede’s services and features require us to share data with other users or at the request of a user. We may also share this data with our affiliates, subsidiaries and partners for legal reasons or in connection with claims or litigation.
Wede may share data:
1. With other users
This includes sharing:
- the first names, delivery addresses and order information of order recipients with the restaurants or merchants. We may also share ratings and reviews or other information that the law requires with the restaurants or merchants.
- In the case of drivers, we may share data with users, order recipients and restaurants or merchants including: name and photo; make, model, color, license plate number and photo of the vehicle; location (before and during the trip); average rating given by users; total number of trips; the time since they registered as a driver; contact information; and the drivers’ profile, including compliments and other feedback from previous users.
We also provide users and order recipients with receipts containing information such as a breakdown of the amounts charged, the driver’s first name, a photograph, and a map of the route.
2. Upon request of the user
This includes sharing data with:
- Wede’s business partners. For example, if a user requests a service through a partnership or promotional offer made by a third party, Wedep may share certain data with that third party. This may include, for example, other services, platforms, applications or websites that integrate with our APIs; vehicle services or providers; those who have an API or a service with which we integrate; or restaurants, merchants or other business partners of Wede and their users in connection with promotions, contests or specialized services.
- Emergency services: we offer features that allow users to share their data with police, fire and ambulance services in case of emergency or after certain incidents.
3. With the general public
User questions or comments submitted through public forums, such as Wede blogs and Wede social media pages, may be viewed by the public, including any data included in the users’ questions or comments.
4. With service providers and business partners of Wed
- payment processors and facilitators
- suppliers of background and identity checks
- cloud storage providers
- social networking companies, including Facebook and TikTok, in connection with the use of their tools on Wede applications and websites.
- Advertising intermediaries that allow Wede to display and evaluate the effectiveness of personalized advertisements.
- marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services, advertising networks, third party data providers and other service providers, to better reach or understand our users and assess advertising effectiveness
- research partners, including those conducting surveys or research projects in partnership with or on behalf of Wede
- vendors that help Wede enforce the safety and security of Wede’s services and applications
- consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers
5. For legal reasons or in case of litigation
Wede may share user data if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement or license, legal process or governmental request, or when disclosure is appropriate for security or similar reasons.
This includes sharing data with law enforcement, public health authorities, other government authorities, airports (if required by airport authorities as a condition of providing services in the airport area), or third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements or other policies; to protect the rights or property of Wede or the rights, safety and property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute related to the use of our services. In the event of a dispute regarding the use of another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share your data, including meal information, with the holder of that credit card.
This also includes sharing data with third parties in connection with, or during negotiations for, mergers, sales of company assets, consolidations or restructurings, financings, or acquisitions of part or all of our business by or from another company.
6. By consent
Wede may share a user’s data in ways other than described in this notice if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
E. Data retention and deletion
Wede retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above.
Wede retains user data to provide its services and to comply with its legal obligations.
Wede retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above. The period for which we retain user data is determined by the type of data, the category of user to whom the data relates, and the purposes for which we collect it.
The duration of Wede’s retention of user data may be further determined by legal and regulatory requirements, for security, safety, security and fraud prevention reasons, or by problems related to the user’s account such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute.
- We retain user and order recipient data that is processed to provide our services, such as user profile information and credentials, for the life of the user’s account.
- We retain certain categories of users for up to seven years, regardless of the lifetime of the user account, such as the location data used to calculate the trip fee to comply with tax regulations.
- We retain certain categories of data from all users for a period not related to the lifetime of the user’s account, to prevent fraudulent use of the application. The period for which data is retained will be determined by the need for the data for security, protection, and fraud prevention purposes, as well as by legal and regulatory requirements. Examples include incomplete driver applications, which are retained for one year, and rejected driver applications and customer service communications about security incidents, which are retained for seven years.
In accordance with legal and regulatory requirements, for security, safety and fraud prevention purposes, or because of a problem related to your account, such as an outstanding credit or unresolved claim or dispute, we may retain certain categories of data after deletion of your account, such as user profile information, vehicle and tax data. Typically, this means that we retain accounts and data for seven years after a deletion request.
Users can request the deletion of their account at any time. Wede may retain user data following a deletion request due to legal or regulatory requirements or for reasons stated in this policy.
Users can request deletion of accounts at any time by going to Settings > Privacy in the Wede application or on the Wede website.
Upon a request for account deletion, Wede will delete your account and data unless it must be retained due to legal or regulatory requirements, for security, safety and fraud prevention purposes, or because of a problem related to your account, such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute. Since we are subject to legal and regulatory requirements related to drivers, this means that we retain their accounts and data for the applicable legal retention period after a deletion request. In the case of users and order recipients, their data is normally deleted within 90 days of a deletion request, except where retention is necessary for the above reasons.